Dating in liverpool uk only
The Perry map of 1768 shows the Old Hall as a large house with wings and gardens to one side.In the hundred years which followed this, the house was gradually altered and eventually demolished.When the need for such institutions fell out of favour in the 20th century, the building became the Kirkdale Homes for the Aged and Infirm, and were eventually taken into ownership by the council and Hospital Board.
This was called Bank Hall, and the ‘Old Hall’, which gave its name to Old Hall Street, was left to the family’s Lady Dowager to live in.
The Old Hall continued in use until the 19th century, although it passed into the hands of the Stanley family as the fortunes of the Moores waned.
Bank Hall itself was a moated house, with a causeway between two lakes giving access to the building itself.
It stood on the corner of what are now Bankhall Lane and Juniper Street, although the roads have seen some reshaping in the intervening years.
Up until that time John de la More had owned a house – Moore Hall, first mentioned in 1236 – in the north part of the town of Liverpool.
But the family began to acquire lands in Kirkdale, and eventually built a new home out there.
A village so close to the ambitious and growing town of Liverpool could not expect to stay rural for very long.
The old Moore Hall on the edge of town was already becoming surrounded by buildings as the 18th century wore on, and was altered and demolished to make way for road improvements from 1820 onwards.
Kirkdale occupies an area of flat land on the banks of the Mersey, formerly consisting of sand hills, for which this part of the Sefton coast is still well known.
It is one of the oldest coastal settlements, Origins: from Norse kirk (church), and dale (valley / ‘road to’); therefore the name may mean “the road to the church”, referring to the road from Liverpool to its mother church at Walton-on-the-Hill. Picton recorded that in 1699, when a case was being made for Liverpool becoming a parish in its own right, separate from Walton, one of the reasons was that parishioners were being distracted on their way to church by the ale house in Kirkdale!
The layout used the fashionable model of the ‘Panopticon’, with two towers in the centre which each looked over its own wing.